Such good Friday night food where the whole family can get stuck in. Like most evenings my recipes seem to take on a life of their own when i start to cook depending on what other bits and bobs i have in the fridge which need eating up before my next food delivery! So this would explain why we have a mountain of crispy carrots and parsnips as well as crispy kale on top but you know what it all came together and wa delicious and the main thing was the kids loved it too! Lots of veggies but just presented in a slightly different way!
We all fell silent for a moment while we all tucked into this…silence at mealtimes is a rarity in this household so I knew I was on to a winner!…and surprise, surprise its’s super simple to make!!! Are you getting bored of me repeating this!!! haha! But honestly if I can do it you can too, nothing is ever complicated! It’s just a case of assembling a few different elements but again follow the pics below and i’ll talk you through it! Here’s a shot of what you’ll need!
So firstly you probably need to start with your carrots and parsnips so add these matchsticks to a baking tray with a little oil and pop into the oven at around 160C for 30 minutes or so. Once ready remove from the oven.
While these are cooking make a start on your mince
First you need to fry off your diced onion in a little oil. Once they’ve taken on a bit of colour then add your garlic, stir and then add your mince meat to brown.
Once browned add your paprika and your fajita seasoning as well as a good grind of pepper. If you want to make this spicy then feel free to add some cayenne pepper or chilli powder into the mix too but here i’ve kept it super mild and very kiddy friendly.
After the seasoning add around half of the coriander and the drained kidney beans and then let this simmer away until you’re ready to assemble the nachos.
Now you need to get your nachos and your kale in the oven. These will take around 5/10 minutes.
Cut your wraps into triangles and then place onto a baking tray. In a separate baking tray add your kale and drizzle some oil over the top with some salt. Massage your kale so that it’s all coated in the oil. Pop both baking trays into the oven.
Once the wraps are ready it’s time to assemble it all.
So pop your nachos onto a serving dish, preferably one you can also pop under the grill. (Not like this wooden one you can see here!!!!)
Next add your mince over the top followed by your yellow pepper and the rest of your chopped coriander and then sprinkle with cheese. I’ve used dairy free cheese here which doesn’t melt quite as well but it’s a pretty good alternative! Now pop this under the grill to gently melt the cheese.
and then finally top with your carrots and crispy kale!
So to recap here’s what you’ll need:
- 500g Turkey mince
- 1 can of kidney beans
- 1 red onion – finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves – crushed
- 1 1/2 tbsp fajita seasoning
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Cayenne pepper or chilli powder (optional)
- 4 tbsp of roughly chopped fresh coriander
- Large handful of grated cheese or more if you like it really cheesy!
- Kale – 2 large handfuls
- 1/2 yellow pepper – finely diced
- 2 Carrots and 2 parsnips – cut into matchsticks
- Wraps – around 4/5 mini wholemeal wraps
- Sour cream, red chilli’s to garnish (optional)
….and here’s what you need to do!
- First preheat your oven to 160C
- Now pop your carrots and parsnips onto a baking tray with a little oil and pop into the oven at around 160C for 30 minutes or so. Once ready remove from the oven.
- Meanwhile make your mince.
- Start by browning your red onion in a little oil. Once it’s taken on a little colour add your garlic and then the mince.
- Once the mince has browned and cooked through add your fajita seasoning and your paprika as well as a couple of tablespoons of chopped coriander and your kidney beans. Stir, season and leave to simmer. If you want extra heat then feel free to add some cayenne or chilli powder.
- Now cut your wraps into triangles and place onto a baking tray.
- Grab yourself a second baking tray and put your kale onto it, drizzle with oil and lightly salt. Mix with your hands until all the kale is covered in oil.
- Now put both baking trays into the oven for 5-10 minutes. Watching so that neither catch.
- Once this is ready it’s time to assemble.
- Transfer your wraps onto a serving dish, add the mince on top, then a sprinkle of yellow pepper, the remaining coriander and your cheese.
- Place under the grill to melt the cheese.
- Finally add your kale and your carrots and then DIG IN!!
- You can also serve with some avocado and sour cream (optional)
Think that’s it!
If you try it be sure to let me know!! You can comment here or on instagram…@hungrylittlebears
See you soon! xx