Sorry i’m a bit late with all my posts – it’s been a busy week!! My in-laws are here for another week and there just doesn’t seem to be any time to sit down and write these up!…so thank you for bearing with me!
I’m got a bit of time today so am going to bosh out this one now! This is what we had on Friday. Nachos – perfect Friday night fodder!! Easy to do, tasty and load the mince up with lots of fresh coriander, red onion, sour cream and avocado and it’s a meal packed full of flavour!
I use tortilla wraps to make my nachos, a lot healthier and the kids don’t really seem to mind! Result! So what is usually considered to be a slightly unhealthy meal actually turns out to be pretty healthy!…i’ve also done my usual trick of adding some additional veggies in to the mince so again a slightly healthier version than if you were eating nachos out!
So here’s what you need to do:
Start by frying off your onion in a large pan with a little oil. Fry for a few minutes over a medium heat until the onion starts to soften. Next add your mince and your garlic and brown.
Next in go your spices: paprika, cumin, ground coriander,cajun spice, mild chilli powder
Then you need to add 1 tsbp tomato puree, 1 beef stock cube, fresh coriander and grated courgette, kidney beans and season.
Meanwhile make your nachos by simply cutting a tortilla wrap into triangles, placing onto a baking tray and then popping in the oven for around 5-10 minutes or until they have crisped up.
Once these are ready, lay them onto a large platter. Top with the mince and then top with grated cheese. Be generous with the cheese! Then pop this under the grill to melt the cheese…
and then finally top with finely diced red onion, chunks of avocado, squeeze of lime, sour cream, fresh coriander and some chopped cherry tomatoes. I would have made a delicious guacamole but the kids don’t really go for guacamole or avocado in general. In fact my hubby isn’t a massive fan either so i ditched the guac and just went for chunks of avocado…which i ate and the kids picked off!!!!
This is such a winner meal though and in my eyes it’s all about tucking in all together and enjoying some family time!
So here’s what you need:
- 500g beef mince
- 1 onion – finely diced
- 1 stock cube
- 2 cloves garlic – crushed
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp cajun spice
- Fresh coriander
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- Grated cheese
- Tortilla wraps
- To garnish
- Sour cream
- Fresh coriander
- Red onion
- Cherry tomatoes – chopped
What you need to do:
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Start by frying off your onion in a large pan using a little oil.
- Fry over a medium heat until the onion has softened slightly
- Next add your garlic and then your mince and brown.
- Once browned add your spices: paprika, cumin, cajun, coriander and add a handful of chopped fresh coriander too and then season well
- Now add 1 beef stock cube, 1 tbsp tomato puree and allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Finally add your kidney beans and cook for a further 5 mins.
- Meanwhile cut your tortilla wraps into triangles and place onto a baking tray and pop into the oven for 5-10 mins or until the tortialla wraps are crispy..
- Now turn on your grill.
- Line the tortialla wraps onto a large plate, add your beef on top and then top with a generous helping of cheese.
- Place this under the grill to melt the cheese
- Now it’s time to add all the add-ons – fresh coriander, red onion, dollop of sour cream, some chopped avocado and chopped tomatoes…and then tuck in!!
Hope you like it!!! xx