All hail to the slow cooker!! haha! This totally saved me today as I was out for most of the day so no time to prep or stir!…so I simply threw all the ingredients into my slow cooker and voila 4 hours later a rich and tasty chilli! All I had to do was boil some rice and veg and I even had time to make some super quick tortilla wrap cups too for the chilli and rice to sit in…! Super easy and I can report well received too! I made a kiddie version using the cups and then a slightly more grown up version with lots of add ons…fresh chilli, fresh coriander, avocado etc. If your kids like avaocao and sour cream etc then feel free to whack this onto the kiddie version too!!
All you need to do first is brown the onion and then the meat in a little oil…Either in a separate frying pan on the hob or if you have a saute mode on your slow cooker then use this to brown your mince and onions..the slow cooker I have is a crock pot. The link is here…it’s quite expensive, it was a very generous gift from my hubby for Christmas, but it is AMAZING and let’s you do the whole thing in one pot!! CROCK POT SLOW COOKER
Anyway back to the recipe…once you have browned your mince you add your spices and garlic….Stir and fry for few minutes before adding your tomatoes, stock, oregano, bay leaves and 1 tsp of sugar, season well and then leave to cook on slow for 4 hours…the slow cooker then does all the work!
Then 4 hours later add your kidney beans and cook these on low while you boil your veg and rice and make your tortillas…
To make the tortilla wrap bowls just cut some circles out of a large tortilla wrap with a large cookie cutter and then press and mould into a muffin tin. Pop into the oven for 5-7 minutes at 180C and then you can fill them up with your rice and beans!
Add some rice to the bottom of the bowls and then top with the chilli mix, some grated cheese and then serve with a side of veg!
For the adult version as I mentioned above we ditched the cups and just had with rice and then all the added extras in the ingredients below!
So here’s what you need:
- 450g mince beef
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp mild chilli powder (add more if you like more heat or switch to hot!)
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 onion – diced
- 1 garlic clove – crushed
- Salt and pepper
- Tortilla wraps – make 3 cups per wrap
- 1 can kidney beans
- Wholegrain rice
- Extras to garnish: avocado, fresh chilli, sour cream, fresh coriander, grated cheese
What you need to do:
- Start by browning your onion in your slow cooker using the saute mode or fry in a pan on the hob in a little oil.
- Next add your mince and brown.
- Now add your garlic and your spices and fry for a couple of minutes.
- If using the hob transfer your onion and mince mix to your slow cooker or simply switch your slow cooker to the slow cooker mode.
- Now add the tomatoes, bay leaves, oregano and stock and leave on low for 4 hours.
- After 4 hours add your kidney beans and leave on slow for another 30 mins while you boil your rice and veg and make your tortilla bowls.
- To make the bowls, simply use a large cookie cutter and make circles in your wrap. Then mould the wraps into a muffin tin and then pop into the oven at 180C for around 5-7 mins.
- Now fill your bowls with rice and then top with the chilli and some grated cheese and serve with a side of veg.
- For a more adult version add chopped avocado, fresh coriander, fresh red chilli, , grated cheese and sour cream! Yum!
Hope you like this one! Super easy, super simple! xx