Pure comfort food over here with this one! A slightly different take on your classic cottage pie and just as tasty, warming and comforting as you’d expect from a pie like this…one big warm hug!!
There’s nothing fancy about the ingredients, you’ve probably got most of this in your store cupboard and fridge already so should be fairly straight forward!
So start by frying off a diced onion in a large saute pan until softened. Then add your meatballs and brown. I’ve used shop bought ones here so keeping it super simple…I’ll add all the veg to the sauce..
So yes fry off the meatballs and then add grated courgette, grated carrot, a chopped carrot & garlic and fry for a few minutes unti the veg starts to soften.
Next add a generous glug of red wine…followed by the remaining ingredients
Allow that to simmer for 20 minutes or so or until the carrots are cooked through while you make the mash potato.
There is nothing fancy here – just boiled, drained potatoes, mashed with lots of butter, salt and pepper, milk and a handful of grated cheese stirred through.. Leave this aside.
Now pour your meatball mix into an oven proof dish and then..
..top with your cheesy mash, make some fork marks along the mash to make it look pretty and then top with some additional grated cheese..and this is now ready for the oven. 40 mins at 180C or until warmed through and the cheese has melted and browned.
• 12-15 meatballs • Tin of chopped tomatoes
• 1 tsp mixed dried herbs
• Glug of red wine
• Beef stock cube
• 2 carrots, one grated one chopped
• 1 courgette – grated
• 1 brown onion – diced
• 2 garlic cloves crushed
• splash of Worcestershire sauce
• 1 tbsp tomato purée
• For the potato topping: Potatoes – boiled, drained and mashed with butter, milk, salt and pepper and handful of cheese stirred through..
• Ddditional cheese to sprinkle on top
And here’s what you need to do!..
• Start by frying off your onion until soft
• now add your meatballs and brown
• next add your grated courgette, grated carrot, a chopped carrot & garlic and fry for a few minutes.
• Next add your wine, tomatoes, stock cube, tomato purée, herbs and simmer for 20 mins or so to soften the carrots..
• Now transfer this to an oven proof dish.
• …and finally top with your mash and sprinkle with cheese.
• You can leave this to cool, cover and leave in the fridge until needed then simply heat in the oven at 180C for 40 mins…or pop straight into the oven to heat through and brown the cheese!