This type of meal is a fab way to get everyone involved and I usually find that means my kids are likely to eat more! They have the choice of what they want to load their taco’s with which gives them independence on their food choices…even though you’ve decided what those choices are!
My kids tend to eat better if they serve themselves rather than being handed a plate of food…and if your kids are actually like mine and don’t particulary go for the added extras that’s ok too as this mince is packed with spinach and courgettes so if they just want the mince that’s ok with me…BUT offer it up as one day they may just surprise you! Maisie in this instance grabbed a handful of the coriander and the tomatoes and of course they both went for the grilled halloumi!!..beacause, well, it’s grilled halloumi and we all love that over here! Having something they love on the plate or dish lures them in!!….so my advice would be to always serve them something you know they like but perhaps add a few things they may not have tried before or that they’re learning to like but do it without any pressure – maybe they’ll try the next time?! Just keep offering, keep exposing….
Anyway, back to this recipe. There’s nothing complicated about this one..the mince is really easy to make and like most things starts with sweating off a diced onion in a large pan with a little oil. I used a brown onion this time but only because my last red onion was rotten!…so if you can, use a red onion!
Once they have softened slightly add your crushed garlic and your lamb and brown your mince.
Once browned stir in your grated courgette and spinach and then also stir through one large tablespoon of harissa and 1 tsp smoked paprika for that added smokiness and some chopped coriander and then season well.
You can make this mince in advance and leave it at this stage without the kidney beans and then when you are ready to serve add the kidney beans and warm through while you’re heating up your taco’s in the oven!
And if you fancy you can add some griddled halloumi as well. This was just bait for my kids!!!!
Then all you need to do is grab yourself some little bowls and prepare your added extras and then just dive straight in!!
What you need:
- Red onion
- Garlic – 2 cloves, crushed
- 450g Lamb mince
- 1 tbsp Harissa paste
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 courgette grated
- 1 tbsp Tomato puree
- Handful of chopped fresh Coriander
- Handful chopped spinach
- Soft taco’s
- Optional extras
- Fresh chopped tomatoes
- Sour cream or some raita
- Chopped spring onion
- Chopped Coriander
- Silced Red pepper
- Grilled Halloumi or grated cheddar
What you need to do:
- Start by frying off your diced red onion in a little oil
- Once starting to soften add your crushed garlic and your lamb and brown.
- Once browned add your courgette, spinach, harissa, paprika and season
- Next stir through 1 tbsp tomato puree, some chopped coriander and your chopped spinach.
- Finally add some kidney beans and warm these through and then you’re ready to serve.
- Meanwhile warm some taco boats in the oven as per the packet instructions.
- Grab yourself some little bowls and add your extras…coriander, spring onion, coriander, sour cream or raita.
- Then it’s just a case of loading up your boats and tucking in!
Hope you and your family enjoy this one! xx