Morning! I have finally sorted my technical glitch out so can crack on with writing this recipe up for you guys…These little fish bites are coated in curry spices, dipped in egg and then rolled in a mix of Rice Krispies and panko breadcrumbs for a crunchy and crispy bite. The curry flavours are subtle, there’s a hint of spice but nothing too overpowering so perfect for small palates!
These were a big hit with the kids, although they were super hungry when they sat down to eat these so they probably would have eaten anything!!..But i’ll take the wins when and where i can!
So cracking on with the recipe, as long as you’re all set up on your worktop with your dipping bowls ready this is really easy to do…
Start by chopping up your fish fillets into bite size pieces…like this!
Grab yourself a frying pan and gently fry off your spices and then add these to a bowl with your flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper..
In a separate bowl add a lightly beaten egg and in a third bowl add your panko and Rice Krispie mix:
First coat your fish in the curried flour…
Then dip into the egg, and finally into the breadcrumbs so you get something that looks like this:
and then lay them onto a lined baking tray
Pop these into the fridge to firm up a bit until you’re ready to cook. When ready simply heat a frying pan up with some oil and fry these for a few minutes, turning occassionally so that it’s crispy on all sides and the fish is cooked through.
and then you’re done!
Here’s what you’ll need:
• 2 cod fillets cut into bite size pieces
• 1 tsp ground cumin
• 1 tsp ground coriander
• 1 tsp garam masala
• 1 tsp mild curry powder
• 1/2 tsp garlic powder
• large handful plain wholemeal flour
• 1 egg (lightly beaten)
• Handful panko breadfrumbs
• Handful of crushed Rice Krispies ( pop them into a food bag and bash with a rolling pin, or whizz in a food processor)
What you need to do:
• Start by gently dry frying the spices for a couple of minutes to release the aroma!
• Next add the spices to a bowl and add your flour, garlic powder, season and mix
• In a separate bowl add your beaten egg
• In a third bowl add your panko & Rice Krispies and mix
• Now simply coat your fish pieces in the seasoned flour, then the egg and finally coat with the breadcrumb mix.
• Place onto a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper cover and pop into the fridge to firm up or until you’re ready to cook
• To cook simply fry in a little oil over a medium heat turning occasionally until crispy and cooked through!
(For a slightly healthier option you can also bake these in the oven at 180C for 10/12mins)
I served with some sweet potato crisps and some green veg. They’d be good too dipped into mango chutney stirred into some natural yogurt with some fresh coriander and a squeeze of lemon! Delicious!
Hope you like them too!! xx