Firstly let me apologise for the photos for this. It’s so hard to make a slow cooker meal look pretty?! Hmmm need to find a way!…but i can tell you both kids gobbled this up and this is saying something as my eldest daughter, Maisie, doesn’t like pesto…apparently!!! The slow cooking of this really mellows the pesto out so actually don’t be put off from making this if you do have a pesto hater!…that said if you have someone in your household who loves it, it can’t hurt to stir in an additional spoonful of pesto at the end to lift the flavour.
I’m totally in love with my slow cooker…I so thought it would be one of those gadgets which just takes up space on the work top or worse sits in the back of the cupboard gathering dust but oh on…this baby has been used so much and coming into Autumn winter it’s going to get used a whole lot more i feel!
This is by no means an ad! I wish!!!!!….But i do get asked a lot of questions about my slow cooker so thought i’d tell you about it here…So my slow cooker is this Crock Pot Multi-Cooker It was a surprise gift from my husband…well I may have dropped hints that i’d like a slow cooker but didn’t mention any specific brands etc and he chose this.
It’s expensive but it’s amazing!!! It has so many different functions, i’m not even sure i’ve used all of them yet but I love that you can fry off your onion, meat etc first without using another frying pan as it has a saute mode so you can do it all in the same pan. Anything which saves me washing up multiple pots and pans gets my vote! You can also lift the dish out of the machine and pop it straight onto the table..so again no need to dirty another serving dish!
It has multiple modes such as roast, steam, slow cook and saute and it has a bake mode so you can even bake cakes in it…which i haven’t yet…but maybe i should! Hmm watch this space!
Anyway that’s a very brief overview..there are lots out there but do look out for the ones where you can saute your meat etc in first…
Right back to the recipe!…sorry! Super easy, simply whack all the ingredients into the slow cooker, give it a quick stir and then pop the lid on, set your slow cooker to low and cook for 6 hours…seriously that’s it!
This was about half way through, so 3 hours in….
and this is what you end up with!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 3 chicken breasts, skin off
- Handful of fresh basil
- 2 big tbsp pesto
- Handful of cherry tomatoes halved
- Red onion – roughy chopped or for fussier eaters finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 tsp garlic powder or 1 crushed garlic clove
- Parmesan, additional pesto, few basil leaves to garnish and some fresh tomatoes to garnish.
…and here’s what you need to do:
- Simply place all of the above ingredients into your slow cooker, mix it all together and then cook on low for 6 hours! Check the liquid half way through and top up if neccessary.
- Once cooked simply shred the chicken with a fork and you’re ready to serve.
- Sprinkle over some extra fresh basil, a few tsp of pesto and some grated parmesan. I served these with mini jacket potatoes and some veg.