Wow, after a long summer off, 6 weeks in fact without blogging and writing up recipes it appears i’m back!!!…I had a bit of a mental block and just didn’t want to open my laptop back up again but I’ve finally done it and you know it’s not so bad!!!..and i’m back writing up a recipe which lots of you have asked for so it feels good to be back with this one!
These are my cod and chorizo croquettes which are so easy so make but really delicious and my kids gobbled these up. It’s the lure of the chorizo which does it!…but there’s also fish, spinach and potatoes in here so i’m happy with that!
So to start with you need to boil some potatoes, drain and then mash with a knob of butter….then leave aside.
While the potatoes are boiling you can cook your fish fillets. I popped mine into a microwave friendly dish, poured over a little milk, about 1/2 cup and then zapped in the microwave for a few minutes until the fish flakes. You could also pop the fish into a pan and poach the fish in milk on the hob if you prefer..drain the fish and then leave aside.
Now you need to fry some chopped chorizo and 2 cloves of crushed garlic in a pan over a medium heat. Not too high as you don’t want to burn the garlic.
Once the chorizo is cooked through pour this mixture into the potatoes. Season well and then add the juice of lemon…
Then flake your fish into the bowl as well.
Followed by a good handful of chopped spinach and then mix well.
Now you’re ready to make these into croquettes but before you start coating anything like this, whether it’s coating fishcakes, chicken goujons or whatever it may be the trick is to get everything set up beforehand. Get your bowls out for egg, flour and breadcrumbs or whatever you’re coating with, line a baking tray with greaseproof paper so you can pop the croquettes straight onto that and then it just becomes a simple production line.
So first grab a handful of the mixture and shape into a croquette with your hands, then first dip into some seasoned flour, then some lightly beaten egg and then finally some panko breadcrumbs, or fresh if you prefer. I added paprika and salt and pepper to my breadcrumbs…
Then pop them onto a baking tray, cover and then pop into the fridge to firm up for a bit.
When you’re ready to eat simply fry them in a little oil, turning occasionally so that they are crispy all the way round and warmed all the way through.
Serve with some veg on the side and you’re done!
So just to recap here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 cod fillets
- 3 medium sized potatoes
- 2 garlic clove
- 150g chopped chorizo
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup milk
- Handful of fresh spinach
- 1 bowl with 1 egg – lightly beaten
- 1 bowl with large handful of wholemeal plain flour
- 1 bowl with large handful of panko breadcrumbs seasoned with paprika, salt and pepper
And here’s what you need to do:
- Peel and chop your potatoes then boil until tender, drain and then mash with a knob of butter. Place into a large mixing bowl and then leave aside.
- Meanwhile place your fish in a microwave friendly bowl with 1/2 cup milk, lightly cver with cling film and then cook on high for a couple of minutes until the fish is cooked through and flakes. Drain the fish and leave aside.
- Next up getnly fry your chorizo and crushed garlic in a frying pan and then add to the bowl with the mashed potato.
- Next flake the fish into the potatoes, add juice of a lemon and season well.
- Finally add your choppped spinach.
- Mix well and allow to cool slightly
- Grab a small handful of the mixture and mould into a croquette shape with your hands,
- Now simply coat in the flour followed by the egg and finaly the breadcrumbs.
- Place onto a lined baking tray and repeat the process for the remaining mixture.
- Cover and pop in the fridge to firm up for a bit.
- When ready to eat simply fry for a few minutes, turning occatsionally so that they are crispy on all sides and the croquettes are warmed through.
- Enjoy with a squeeze of lemon and some veg!
Hope you like this one! As always let me know if you try them!
See you again soon i hope!!