Super easy one tonight and pretty quick too! By bashing the chicken breasts up, not only do you tenderise the meat but it also speeds up the cooking time. You could also use boneless chicken thighs for this too but i happened to have some breasts in the fridge. I also find the kids eat the meat better if it’s flatter! Not so overwhelming a piece a meat i guess!?…Anyway tonight they lapped this up. No complaints at all…in fact even some compliments! Not sure quite what’s happened to my kids today – they’re being nice?! Always worries me! haha!…but am going with it today! Happy kids and happy full tummies!
So start by taking your chicken and placing in between some cling film..then grab yourself a rolling pin and bash it until it’s around 1cm thick and doubled in size (great stress buster too!! – Let it all out!!) and then place into a dish. Repeat the process for the remaining chicken breasts.
Next make up your rub – using 2 tsp smoked paprika 2 tsp cajun spice, 1 tsp onion salt and 1 tsp garlic powder. Mix this all together with around 1 tbsp of olive oil and then coat your chicken breasts with the rub…
You can cover this and leave in the fridge for an hour or so which will help all the flavours to absorb into the chicken or if you’re in a rush simply heat up a griddle pan and then griddle your chicken breast for a few minutes on either side until cooked all the way through.
Serve in some buns, some thins or even in a wrap with some coleslaw and some corn on the cob on the side…I also made some garlic bread bites from a ciabatta roll as my son didn’t want his chicken in a roll? So Garlic bread instead which was simple enough…or some potato wedges would also be good! YUM!
What you need:
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp cajun spice mix
- 1 tsp garlic poweder
- 1 tsp onion salt
- Olive oil
- Coleslaw – you can find a recipe for coleslaw here if you need: Coleslaw
- Potato wedges
- Corn on the cob
- Buns or wraps
- Iceberg Lettuce
What you need to do:
- Start by placing your chicken breast between some cling film and then with a rolling pin start to bash it so that it becomes double the size and around 1cm thick and then place into a dish
- Repeat the process for the remaining chicken breasts
- Now make up your rub by mixing the paprika, cajun spice, onion salt and garlic with around 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Rub this all over the chicken breasts to coat.
- When ready to cook simply heat up a griddle pan and then cook evenly on either side until the chicken is completely cooked through.
- Serve in buns with some salad or some coleslaw
One thought on “Cajun Chicken Burgers”