So tonight was slightly one of those meals that you make up as you go along!….but sometimes they turn out to be the best!…Not always!…but sometimes you hit a winner and this was one of those tonight..so i thought it would be rude not to share!
I hope if you make this your little one’s love it too – to be fair this went down really well with hubby too so hopefully this is good enough for all the family – fingers crossed!!….and it’s my take on a meatless monday meal!
So start by getting some potatoes on the boil to make some mash! I used about 3 medium sized potatoes. Cut into chunks, boil in salted water for around 15 mins or until tender. Once cooked, drain and then mash. ( You could also use leftover mash if you’ve got that hanging around!)
Meanwhile whizz up half a head of cauliflower in your food processor to make cauliflower rice. If you’re pushed for time then you could use ready made cauliflower rice for this too??
Then once that’s whizzed up pour it into a saute pan which has a lid.
Add a good splash of water as well as a crushed clove of garlic, season and then pop the lid on and steam for a few minutes until the cauliflower is tender.
Once tender add some grated courgette (I used about half as I had one which needed eating) Then stir through for a couple of minutes and then add a couple of handfuls of grated halloumi. I used about 100g.
Mix that together and then add your mash and a couple of tablespoons of flour, I used gram flour but plain flour would also be absolutely fine! If you like your potato cakes really cheesy you could add some additional cheddar to this as well??
Then all you need to do is take a handful and form into patties, gently press some breadcrumbs on to either side. You can keep them in the fridge at this stage and then take out when you’re ready to cook…then when you’re ready gently fry in a little oil for a few minutes on either side until warmed through and browned…
and then serve with a fried egg on top and some courgette batons to dip into the yolk!
So just to recap here’s what you need:
- 3 medium size potatoes
- half a head of cauliflower
- 1 garilc clove
- 1/2 courgette – grated
- 100g Halloumi – grated
- 100g breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp flour
and here’s what you need to do:
- Start by getting your potatoes on the boil. Once tender, drain and then mash and leave aside.
- Meanwhile break your cauliflower into florets and then pop into a food processor and blitz until you get cauliflower rice.
- Then transfer the cauliflower to a saute pan with a lid.
- Add a good splash of water and a crushed garlic clove. Season and then pop the lid on and steam for a few minutes until the cauliflower is tender.
- Then add half a grated courgette and your grated halloumi. Mix well.
- Finally add your mash potato and your flour and combine.
- Now grab yourself a handful of the mixture and form into patties and then press some breadcrumbs into either side. (You can leave these in the fridge on a lined baking tray until you’re ready to cook at this stage)
- Now simply fry in a frying pan in a little oil over a medium heat for a couple of minutes either side. It may need slightly longer if you’ve taken them out of the fridge.
- Serve with a fried egg on top and some added veg!
See you next time!! xx