This is such a simple pasta dish and would actually work with any type of pasta. We don’t tend to eat a lot of pasta over here….for one Maisie definitely isn’t a fan of any sort of pasta but also i tend to find pasta a bit heavy going…BUT I have seen so many delicious orzo looking dishes over on Instgram recently that i started to crave it so here is my fix! My hubby and I actually used to make this meal the whole time pre kids…it’s quite nostalgic making this again!!!
So let’s get on with it…Here’s what you’ll need as well as a good sprinkling of parmesan which isn’t pictured and some croutons which are optional but it just so happened I made some this afternoon – shop bought ones are fine too though and they do give a lovely crunch to this dish!
So you need to start by preheating your oven to 180C. Place some vine cherry tomatoes onto a baking tray and then drizzle the tomatoes with a little oil and some salt and the pop into the oven…they’ll happily cook away while you get on with the rest….
Now you need to cook your pasta…so cook this as per the packet instructions…once cooked drain and leave aside.
Now you can get on with the rest. Start by very slowly cooking your garlic and onion. You don’t want to burn your garlic so low and slow!!
After 5 mins or so add your chilli’s and cook for a few minutes…then you simply add your spinach and prawns…I’m using cooked prawns as this is what i had in the freezer but raw prawns would probably be better in this…just cook until they turn pink!
and then add your orzo as well as a big squeeze of lemon (about the juice of 1/2 lemon) Stir through just until the spinach starts to wilt a little…then add some grated parmesan.
Now it’s ready to serve! All you need to add is your tomatoes from the oven and some crunchy croutons crushed on top and a touch more parmesan! ENJOY!!
So just to recap:
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Orzo pasta
- Prawns – cooked or raw
- 2 cloves of garlic – crushed
- large handful of spinach
- Vine cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 red chilli – finely chopped
- 1/2 red onion – finely diced
- Salt and Pepper
- Good olive oil
Here’s what you need to do:
- Preheat the oven to 180C and then pop your vine tomatoes into the oven with a drizzle of oil and some salt for 15 mins
- Next boil your orzo as per your packet instructions. Once cooked, drain and leave aside.
- Meanwhile very slowly start frying your onion and garlic in some olive oil over a low heat. You don’t want to burn the garlic so go low and slow with this.
- Once the garlic and onion have been sweating away for 5 mins or so add your chilli.
- Then add your prawns. If you using raw cook until they’ve just turned pink. If using cooked, cook until just warmed through.
- Now add your orzo pasta, your spinach and a good squeeze or lemon and lots of cracked black pepper. Stir through until all combined and the spinach just starts to wilt.
- Now serve with some grated parmesan and your vine tomotoes resting on top.
Hope you like this one!!!
2 thoughts on “Prawn, Garlic & Chilli Orzo”