Evening!! How are we all? Hope you had a good weekend and enjoyed the sunshine and the wedding celebrations if that’s your bag? Personally i loved it and thought Meghan looked stunning and Harry didn’t scrub up too badly either!!..
..but i digress let’s get back to food. Tonight on the meal planner is slow pulled chicken baps…except i’ve switched the baps for pittas as we had some which needed to be eaten but you could do either. Personally my two are slightly better with pittas, wraps etc than rolls. They tend to get a bit overwhelmed with buns?! Anyone else have the same issue? Anyway either would work here obviously. The kids had theirs with some very finely sliced cabbage and carrot with some iceberg lettuce and I made a delicious coleslaw as an adult version.
The coleslaw was super simple to make: Just mayo, creme fraiche, salt and pepper and some dijon mustard. I didn’t make exact measurements but below is a rough idea but add to taste! Quick and tasty and went so well with the chicken. YUM!
So onto the chicken….I simply sprinkled some chicken thighs with some greek seasoning, some garlic powder, some oregano and some pepper.
I then set my slow cooker to saute mode and browned the meat slightly…
I then popped the lid on and switched to slow cooker mode and cooked on low for 4 hours with a little stock. You don’t need much, i would say arond 1/2 cup. I used a bit more than this and it was quite liquidy so I had to cook off the liquid for a few minutes with the lid off but if you stick to 1/2 cup i think it will be perfectly juicy. The chicken is super, super soft and the kids loved it!
Simply shred it then add to pitta’s with some carrot, lettuce and cabbage, you could also add some grated cheese to this as well for the kiddy version or the coleslaw if you prefer (the colelsaw definitely gets my vote!)
Kids ate quite a bit of this…Maisie said she LOVED the chicken and Alfie ate loads so this was a winner…i made loads so can freeze some for a very speedy meal for another week!! Love a good freezer stash!!
So just to recap here’s what you need:
- 2 packs of 640g chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp greek sesasoning
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 Cabbage
- 2 Carrots
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp mayo
- 1 tbsp creme fraiche
- Iceberg lettuce
- Salt and pepper
- Grated cheese (optional)
What you need to do:
- Sprinkle the greek seasoning, garlic powder, oregano and pepper over the chicken thighs.
- Next place the thighs into your slow cooker and set to saute mode and brown your chicken.
- Cook for a few minutes and then switch to low cooker mode add 1/2 cup chicken stock and then pop the lid on and cook on slow for 4 hours.
- Meanwhile prepare your coleslaw. Very finely slice your cabbage and carrots and then place into a bowl. Add your creme fraiche, mayo, dijon mustard and season well. Mix and then leave aside.
- Toast your pitta’s and then cut in half to make mini pitta sandwiches or you could just turn your pitta horizontally and then cut a long slit along the top of the pitta and make a larger sandwich. The mini one’s i think are better for smaller hands!
- Then all you need to do is fill your pittas with some lettuce, chicken and some coleslaw! You could serve with some potato wedges and some cucumber batons and cherry tomatoes too?
Super easy and very simple – but sometimes simple is the best!