It’s all about the leftovers! Here’s a super simple way to use up any leftovers you have…usually after a roast which is exactly what i’m doing today! I made lots of cabbage yesterday so am using that all up as well as leftover roast potatoes and parsnips! Real comfort food which is just what is called for today with this miserable weather!!…next week is going to be sunny though so we’ll be back on BBQ’s, tasty salads and lighter meals but for today on this wet and rainy Monday we’re going for comfort!!
So what you need to do:
Start by frying off a diced onion, 2 crushed cloves of garlic and a grated carrot…
Then add your panetta together with some smoked paprika,
I whizzed the cabbage up in a food processor as i think it will mean Alfie is more likely to eat it. He’s not a massive cabbage fan and although i’m not totally up for hiding veggies, i think it’s so important to be open about what you’re cooking and what’s in your food but i think just not seeing massive chunks of cabbage will mean Alfie won’t be put off! I will tell him cabbage is in here though! (but maybe after he’s eaten it!!!) If your kids are cabbage fans then you can skip the whizzing part and just throw your cooked and chopped cabbage into your frying pan…
So yes add the whizzed up cabbage into the mix and stir..
Then add any other leftver veg. I’ve got potatoes and also a couple of leftover parsnips so have added these in. I’ve also boiled a few more potatoes, drained and mashed…
..and then in they go as well!
Mix this all together and then press it down onto the bottom of your pan and fry for a few minutes.
Next pop a plate on top and flip the potato cake over to brown the other side. Flatten the mix down with a spatula to compress the mixture making it firmer and more likely to turn out!
So yes after a few minutes turn the potato cake out and then simply top with a fried egg…and i’ve also roasted off some vine tomatoes which my kids will probably reject but it makes it look prettier and hubby and I will most definitely eat them!..add a bit of spinach for colour and you’re done! Leftovers be gone!!!!
So to recap what you need:
- 1 onion – finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic – crushed
- 1 carrot – grated
- large handful of leftover savoy cabbage – whizzed in a food processor
- Any other leftover veg- chopped! ( I used some parsnips and a couple of roasted potatoes)
- Some boiled and mashed potatoes – I would say around 4-5 medium sized potatoes
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 100g Pancetta Cubetti
- Salt and Pepper
What you need to do:
- Start by frying off your onion, garlic and carrot in a frying pan with a little oil
- Add your pancetta and fry this for a few minutes and add your paprika.
- Next add your whizzed up cabbage
- Followed by any other leftover veg. I’ve used roast potatoes & parnips
- I’ve also boiled some additional potatoes to add to this. If you don’t have any potatoes then i would peel, cut and boil around 4-5 medium sized potatoes. Drain and them mash and then add this into the pan.
- Mix it all together and then flatten it down into the pan to form a giant potato cake and allow to fry for a few minutes to brown the underneath.
- After a few minutes take a plate and place over the top and flip it! Then transfer back into the pan to brown the other side.
- Once this has browned turn it out onto a plate.
- Meanwhile fry a couple of eggs and then place these on top of your potato cake.
- Serve with some salad and some roasted tomatoes.