Maisie, my daughter, has gymnastics after school on a Wednesday so I need something I can prep in advance and then simply whack into the oven when needed. This meal is that meal! So let’s get straight to it!
Mix the potatoes with a little oil, 1 tsp paprika and 1 tsp of garlic powder a touch of salt and then pop onto a baking tray with your sausages. Bake in the oven for around 30 mins (taking the sausages out after around 20 mins and then chop up)
Meanwhile par boil some broccoli. Boil for around 2-3 minutes and then blanch in cold water to stop them cooking further. Leave aside.
Now make your cheesy sauce. Just a note for this. This doesn’t make a super cheesy bake. My kids are easing back into dairy as we’re still experimenting with my daughter and a suspected dairy intolerance so this was a very light cheese sauce, barely coating the veg but still giving that nice cheesy flavour. If you want a super cheesy sauce simply double the ingredients below for the sauce.
So for the sauce simply melt your butter in a pan and then add your flour. Stir this for a few minutes to cook out the flour. It should form a sort of ball and clump together.
After a couple of minutes, very slowly add your milk, bit by bit, stirring continously until you’ve used up the most or all of the milk. Once the sauce is at a consisitency where it coats the back of a wooden spoon add your cheese and again stir this through so that the cheese melts. Season with a little pepper.
See the steps below:
Then you just need to start layering it all up! So grab yourself an oven proof dish and place the broccoli and your chopped sausages into the dish.
Next add your cooked potatoes and onion
and then pour over the cheese sauce. Finally add some additional grated cheese over the top….
and then pop into the oven for 30 mins or so..
What you’ll need:
- 2 medium size maris piper potatoes – diced
- 1 medium sweet Potato – diced
- Half and onion – finely sliced
- Broccoli – half a head cut into florets
- Garlic powder
- Olive oil
- 8 Turkey Sausages
- For the cheese sauce
- Grated cheese
- 25g butter (I used soya butter)
- 200ml milk ( I used oat milk)
- 1 tbsp plain flour
What you need to do:
- Start by getting your sausages and potatoes into the oven. Pop the potatoes onto a baking tray, drizzle with some olive oil, garlic powder, paprika and add you onion too. Place the sausages next to them if you have space. If not use a separate baking tray.
- Place these into the oven for around 35 minutes, taking the sausages out after around 20 minss
- Meanwhile get your broccoli on the boil. Boil these for around 3 minutes and then drain and place into some cold water to stop them from cooking further and then place into the bottom of a heatproof oven dish.
- Now you can get on with making your cheese sauce. Simply melt your butter in a pan and then add your flour. Stir this through for a couple of minutes to cook out the flour.
- Next very slowly add your milk whilst stirring continously. You want the sauce to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Once you’ve got to this stage add your cheese and again stir through. Add a touch of pepper and then leave this aside while you prep the sausages.
- Once your sausages are done chop them up and then place on top of the broccoli.
- Next take your potatoes out of the oven and add those to the sausages and potatoes.
- Now add your cheese sauce.
- Finally all you need to do is sprinkle with some additional cheese and then pop in the oven for around 30 minutes or so or leave to cool to cook later.
- If heating this up later then you may need to increase the cooking time to 40mins @180C
Let me know if you try this or any variations of!!
Thanks for taking a look!! xx
One thought on “Sausage, Broccoli & Potato Bake”