Today called for easy Sunday cooking! Low and slow… a meal you can literally throw into a slow cooker and then forget about for 6 hours! The weather has been so lovely this week that perhaps a casserole wasn’t the most obvious choice of meals but it was yummy and the lazy mash I served with it went perfectly! YUM!
So here’s the quick how to!
Start by coating your meat in a little bit of flour and then brown in a frying pan or the saute setting if you hvae one on your slow cooker.
Next add your chopped onion, celery and carrots along with your crushed garlic.
Next add some mixed herbs, 1 tbsp tomato puree, 1 tsp paprika and your ale..
followed by a can/carton of chopped tomatoes….then simply pop the lid on and leave to cook on low for 6 hours.
Adding some veg into the dish around 30 minutes before cooking time. I added mushrooms, green beans and lots of kale…
Then serve with some buttery lazy mash!…which basically means boil your potatoes without peeling, mash with lots of butter and add some salt, pepper and some chopped chives.
So to recap here’s what you’ll need:
- 450g Casserole braising steak
- 1tbsp flour
- 500ml Ale
- 2 carrots – cut into chunks
- 2 celery stalks – diced
- 1 onion – diced
- 2 garlic cloves – crushed
- 1 can/carton of chopped tomatoes (400ml)
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- large handful Kale
- large handful Green beans
- 100g button Mushrooms
- Potatoes – quartered, butter and chives for the mash
What you need to do:
- Start by coating your beef with your flour.
- Now brown your meat in a frying pan or in your slow cooker if you have a saute mode with a little oil
- Next add your carrots, onion, celery and garlic and fry for 5 minutes until softened.
- Now add the remaining ingredients bar the mushrooms, kale and green beans and potatoes.
- Pop the lid on and cook on low for 6 hours.
- For the last 30 mins or so add your green beans, mushrooms and kale
- Meanwhile make your mash by boiling your potatoes in salted water, one tender mash with lots of butter add some salt and pepper and finally some chopped chives.
- Serve with your casserole and enjoy!
…and that’s another week done! Thanks so much for still being here!!! It amazes me that you are!
See you for more recipes next week!! (I hope!)