Hope you’ve managed to enjoy some of the sunshine today! It’s been so lovely…Kids have been out in the garden which I now realise needs a lot of love and attention! My Garden is definitely not photo worthy!!…but the kids had fun outside while I popped this all into the oven!
So tonight was a quick and easy traybake with chicken thighs, some lemon, fresh theyme, garlic, onion and courgettes cooked in the oven for around 35 mins at 180C…topped with some kale for the last 5 minutes! Simple!
I also then made some crispy root chips…I used parsnips, carrots, potatoes and sweet potato..
Now there are a few things here which will help to get them crispy!
- Low and slow I think work the best. It gives you more of an even cook. If you’re cooking at a higher temp for less time then make sure you keep checking on your veggies as you want crispy not burnt!
- Slice your veggies as thin as possible, preferably using a mandolin or an attachment in your food processor.
- Cut them and then dab off the excess moisture with some kitchen roll. The drier these are the crispier they’ll get.
- Don’t overload with oil you don’t want these to be too greasy!
- Where possible try not to overlap your veggies in the baking tray. If you have enough racks in your oven then place a couple of baking sheets in the oven with different veggies on each baking tray. They do cook at slightly different rates.
- They will crisp up after you have taken them out of the oven so to test take one out and wait for 30 seconds. Then you can try one out!
So the first thing to do is to slice your vegetables really thinly
Dab off the excess moisture with a kitchen towel.
Line a baking tray with tin foil and then place your veggies on the tray, making sure they don’t overlap.
Brush oil over each one. Then shake some garlic powder, salt and mixed herbs over the top of them.
Pop into the oven for around 40 minutes at 140C. OR alternatively if wanting a speedier result pop in the oven for 20 mins at 180C watching them to make sure they don’t catch.
The crisps are also good on their own as a healthy snack!…and enjoyed outside with a glass of rose!! (not for the kids obviously!!!) Why is it when the sun comes out I just want to open a bottle of rose!
Anyway that’s me for another night – Enjoy!!!
One thought on “Crispy Veggie Chips”