So this was one of those meals that I made up as I went along!… but Alfie polished off three of these so i’m thinking these weren’t bad for a first attempt! I think if I made these again, which I think I definitely will, then i’d mix the sausage and the potato together before placing on top of the wraps. But the flavours were tasty and I managed to get some courgette into Alfie which is actually something short of a miracle. He doesn’t usually touch it! So yes grating the courgette into the sausage mix was a winner!
So this was pretty simple to do. I made the filling and the mash beforehand and then just kept it in the fridge until we were ready to eat. We needed to be speedy tonight as we had gymnastics and parents evening to contend with as well!
So first of all you need to get your potatoes on the boil. Once cooked through simply mash, add some black pepper and a big handful of grated cheese and stir through. Don’t add any milk as you don’t want the potato to be too sloppy!
Meanwhile start on your sausage mix. You can use pork sausage meat for this but i used Turkey sausages and then slit open the sausages to remove the meat but either would work for this. Turkey is also a healthier option!
So start by frying off half a diced red onion together with the sausage meat. (I used 6 sausages for this) into a frying pan with a little oil. Mash and break up with a wooden spoon or spatula.
Once the meat has browned through add your grated courgette and a crushed clove of garlic, stir and continue to fry for a couple of minutes.
Then you’re done. I would now advise tipping the sausage mixture into the potato mixture and then leave aside.
Give the frying pan a quick wipe down with a cloth and then place this back onto the heat. Place a tortilla wrap on the frying pan and then start loading up with your mix. Here I started with the potato, then some cheese, then the sausage meat and then more cheese and then placed the other tortilla on top and dry fried for a couple of minutes…before carefully flipping over to brown the other side.
Then simply cut into wedges and serve with some veg!
What you need:
- 3 maris piper potatoes boiled and mashed (or try using sweet potatoes)
- Cheddar cheese
- 6 turkey sausages
- 1/2 a courgette – grated
- 1/2 Red onion – finely diced
- 1 garlic clove – crushed
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tortilla wraps
- Veg to serve
What you need to do:
- Start by boiling your potatoes. Once tender drain and then mash.
- Next add a large handful of cheese and stir through. Season.
- Meanwhile heat a frying pan with a little oil and then fry off your onion and your sausage meat. (If using sausages, carefully slit down the length of the sausage and then unwrap the meat from the sausage casing)
- Mash and break up the sausage meat with a wooden spoon or spatula and fry until browned.
- Next in goes the grated courgette and the garlic. Stir and continue to cook for a further couple of minutes.
- Once cooked through tip the sausage mix out and either mix with the potato or keep separate as I have done above.
- If keeping separate wipe clean your frying pan and then place a tortilla wrap onto it. Then add a sprinkle of grated cheese, then your mash, then a bit more cheese, then your sausage and then finally a little more cheese and then place the other tortilla wrap over the top. If using combined mix then do wrap, cheese, mix, cheese and then the wrap.
- Dry fry for a few minutes pressing down with a spatula. Then very carefully flip this over onto the other side to brown that side too.
- Then simply transfer to a plate and then cut into wedges/triangles and serve with some salad or some veg!
Hope you like it!