Oven baked portabello mushrooms…meaty enough so that the hubby wasn’t asking where the meat was!!..either that or he was being polite but actually i thought this was pretty tasty and I did bulk it up with some couscous!
Easy and quick which is usually what I go for on a Monday night!
Start by slowly sweating your red onions in a pan on the hob over a very low heat adding some olive oil and some balsamic vinegar.
This photo was taken after about 10 mins…keep going for another 10!
Meanwhile pop your mushrooms onto a baking tray, add some fresh thyme and then a tsp of garlic butter onto each one. Garlic butter very simply a tablespoon of butter and a crushed garlic clove.
Add the garlic butter and then pop into the oven for 15 mins
Now you add your red onion and some chopped halloumi and place back in the oven for a further 5/10 minutes unti the halloumi is starting to soften and brown a little.
Then simply serve on a bed of rocket and drizzle with a little more balsamic and some fresh thyme leaves.
I also served this with some couscous which made this into a slightly more substantial main…The couscous had mint, lemon, beetroot, pine nuts, red onion, feta and olive oil. If i was making this from scratch i would probably have left the feta out as you already have the halloumi in the mushrooms but you gotta make use of the leftovers!!
I would actually do this as a starter for a dinner party i reckon…it’s yummy and super simple.
What you need:
- Portabello mushrooms
- Red onion
- Balsamic vinegar
- Couscous – optional
What you need to do:
- Preheat the oven to 190C
- On the hob gently sweat a sliced red onion in a little oil and some balsamic vinegar
- Meanwhile place your portabello mushrooms onto a baking tray, sprinkle with fresh thyme and add a knob of garlic butter on each made from 1 crushed garlic clove and 1tbsp butter mixed together.
- Pop into the oven for 15 minutes while your onions sweat
- When the mushrooms are ready simply top them with some choppped halloumi and the red onion and place back into the oven for a further 5-10 minutes until your halloumi starts to soften and browns slightly.
- Simply serve on a bed of rocket with a drizzle of olive oil, black pepper and some balsamic vinegar and you can add some couscous too!
See you next time!!