An easy way to get lots of veggies into kids – blitz them and mix them up with lots of mash potato…oh and then top with an egg!!
In these bad boys there is broccoli, spinach and savoy cabbage and leeks! That’s already a winner in my eyes!…There is a bit of blitzing and mashing but really these are pretty simple to put together and you can make them in advance!…and thank god i did tonight as i stupidly managed to lock myself out of the house!! DOH!…So by the time i nipped over to my sister’s house who luckily had a spare set and then drove back we were pretty late for tea…so having these prepped in advance meant all i had to do was fry these up and then poach an egg! 10 mins max!
So what you need to do i hear you ask!…
Start by getting your potatoes on. I used a mix of sweet potato and some red desiree potatoes for this, about 3 of each. Smallish sweet potatoes. So yes boil these first until tender then drain, mash and then set aside.
Meanwhile make your veggie mix. Simply add 1/4 head of broccoli, 4 savoy cabbage leaves and a handful of spinach and blitz in a small hand blender until fine. You end up with this amazing vibrant green mix!
Now grab yourself a frying pan and gently fry half a chopped leek, a crushed garlic clove and a generous tsp of smoked paprika. Fry in a little butter until the leeks are softened.
Now add the green veggie mix into this and continue to cook for a couple of minutes..adding a splash of water.
Once the veg has softened a little it’s time to add your mash into the bowl. Season and mix well.
Now it’s time to grab a small handful and form into patties.
Make up the patties with the rest of the mix and then pop them onto a baking tray and allow to rest in the fridge for 20 mins to firm up a bit or until you’re ready to eat.
When you’re eady to cook simply dust with a little flour and then fry gently in a little oil until browned on both sides and warmed through.
Then simply serve with a poached egg…or a fried egg if feeling less adventurous! I will put my hands up and tell you poaching an egg is not my forte, it’s slightly hit and miss but i did nail this one!!
Just look at that oozing yolk!! Food porn right there!!
So yes pretty simple to make and tastes good too! Hope you agree! If making adult only versions I probably would have added a little chilli oil just drizzled over the top! Yum!
So what you need:
- 1/4 head of broccoli cut into florets
- 4 savoy cabbage leaves
- handful of spinach
- 1 clove of garlic – crushed
- 1/2 leek – finely chopped
- 1 heaped tsp of smoked paprika
- Potatoes – half sweet potato, half desiree potatoes or equivalent. Maris piper would be fine. About 3 small ish potatoes each.
- Eggs – poached or fried.
What you need to do:
- Start by bringing your potatoes up to the boil. Cook until tender, drain, mash and then leave aside.
- Now prepare the green veggies. Place the broccoli florets, the cabbage and the spinach into a small food processor and blitz. Leave aside
- Now gently fry your leek, garlic and paprika in some butter in a frying pan over a medium to low heat.
- Once the leeks have softened slightly you can add the green veggie mix. Continue frying for a few minutes, adding a splash of water.
- Once this has softened a little it’s time to add your mash.
- Season and mix well.
- Then grab a small handful and form into patties and place on a baking tray.
- Repeat the process with the rest of the mix.
- Now pop these into the fridge to firm up a bit.
- When ready to cook simply dust with a little flour and gently fry in a pan with a little oil until warmed through and browned on both sides.
- Serve with a poached egg on top and if doing an adult version drizzle some chilli oil or add some chilli flakes!
See you next time! Any comments and feedback would be gratefully received! Would love to hear what you think if you do make them! Don’t forget to tag @hungrylittlebears
One thought on “Veggie packed potato cakes”