…depending on what you fancy!
This is a simple recipe which you can have as a chunky stew/curry or you can simply blitz this to have as a lentil curried soup. Both are good!
If you’re introducing a new food or taste to your kids it’s always good to have something you know they’ll like on the plate and use that as bait!! I put some crunchy croutons onto this to lure them in and actually my son ended up dipping the croutons into the soup! (Soup was his preference!) Now i’m not going to lie, this wasn’t Alfie’s favourite meal but he tried it and gave it a good go but when he said he didn’t want any more that was ok too! If your kids aren’t great with spices, try adding some coconut milk into this…or just go easy on the spices and reduce them making the flavours more subtle and more palatable for little ones!…but I can say my hubby gave this a big thumbs up!!
….but first here’s the how to!
Like any good curry you need to start by gently frying off an onion.
Next add the lentils and the spices and stir to coat…
Then in goes the garlic
Followed by all your chopped veg
Finally add your liquids, so the tin of tomatoes and your stock, enough to cover the veg. I used around 700ml
Bring to a simmer and then reduce the heat, half covering with a lid and allow to cook for around 25/30mins or until the veg is tender.
You can now either blitz this in a hand held blender to make a soup..or leave chunky!
Top with some toasted almonds, croutons and fresh coriander!!
You could serve this with some rice as well or some naan and popadoms…again my kids love both of these so you can use either of these to lure them in too!!
So here’s what you need:
- 100g lentils – green or red or a mix
- Half a cauliflower – cut into florets
- Handful of broccoli florets
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 1 onion – finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves – crushed (1 for the croutons)
- 1/2 butternut squash – cut into chunks (or you can use frozen)
- 2 carrots – cut into chunks
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1tsp each of ground coriander, turmeric, cumin and cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mild curry powder
- Sourdough bread or alternative (stale bread is often the best for croutons)
- Fresh coriander, flaked almonds and coconut yogurt to serve (optional)
What you need to do:
- Preheat the oven to 180C for the croutons.
- Now on the hob, in a large heavy based pan start sweating off the onion in a little oil on a medium heat until starting to soften.
- Next in go the lentils and the spices. Give this a good stir and cook for a few minutes to release the aroma from the spices.
- Now add your crushed garlic. Cook for a couple of minutes
- It’s now time to add your veg. Stir so that the veg is coated in the spices
- Add your tinned tomatoes and your stock. Enough liquid to just cover the vegetables.
- Bring up to a boil and then lower to a gentle simmer, covering loosely with a lid.
- Meanwhile make your croutons. Rub a garlic clove over your bread and then brush with a little oil. Cut the bread into chunks and then place onto a baking tray. Pop into the oven at 180C for around 10 mins.
- Once the veg is tender, about 25/30 mins it’s ready to serve.
- You can use a handblender and make it into a soup or leave chunky as a stew.
- Garnish with some coriander, almonds and coconut yogurt.
As ever please let me know if you what you think!