Slow cooker meals are just so good! You throw a bunch of ingredients into the pot with very little prep and then your slow cooker works its magic! 6 hours later and you have a comforting and warming plate of food!
This recipe uses very simple ingredients and then i used a recipe from Jamie Oliver to make the dumplings. I switched the recipe up a little bit by adding some herbs and garlic powder and I also used dairy free butter to accomodate Maisie! They worked really well and both kids ate theirs…plus extras!
You start by dusting your beef in a little flour and then browning the beef in a little oil in your crock pot or casserole dish if using.
Then add the onion and gently fry followed by the garlic…Then in go the veggies..the tomato puree, herbs, worcestershire sauce and wine.
…and then your remaining liquids…tomatoes and stock
You then put the lid on and leave it for 5 1/2 hours on low! Meanwhile make your dumplings..Add the following ingredients into a bowl…
65g butter, 125g self raising flour, 1 tsp finely chopped rosemary, 1 tsp garlic powder, salt and pepper.
Use cold butter and then start by cutting/chopping it through with a knife to break the butter up a bit.
Then with your hands gently rub until it forms breadcrumbs. As soon as you have breadcrumbs add 1 tbsp water or enough until it comes together to form a dough.
Now divide the dough into small dumplings.
Once 5 1/2 hours have passed add your dumplings!
and then the cavelo nero and pop the lid on again for another 30 minutes..
and then you’re good to go!! Delicious and healthy comfort food at it’s best!!!!
What you need:
- Beef casserole meat – 500g – cut into chunks
- 3 carrots – cut into chunks
- 2 parsnips – cut into chunks
- 500ml beef stock
- 1 onion – sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic – crushed
- 1 tsp mixed dried herbs
- 2 tsp worcestershire sauce
- Big squirt of tomato puree
- 400g tin of choppped tomatoes
- Big glug of red wine
- Cavelo Nero
For the Dumplings
- 125g self raising flour
- 65g cold dairy free butter
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp finely chopped rosemary
- Salt and pepper
What you need to do:
- First dust your beef i some plain flour and brown in your crockpot if you have that setting or in a saute pan or casserole dish if using the oven.
- Next add the sliced onions and then the garlic.
- Now add the carrots and parsnips, the worcestershire sauce, tomato puree and herbs. Stir well and then add the remaining ingredients, bar the cavelo Nero which gets added with the dumplings at the end. For the stock start with around 300ml. You can always add more later when you add the dumplings.
- Leave to cook on low for 5 1/2 hours
- Meanwhile make your dumplings as per the Jamie Oliver recipe Jamie Oliver Dumplings but add 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp finely chopped rosemary and if you need use dairy free butter. I halved the amounts for this and made around 9 dumplings but feel free to go whole hog!
- After 5 1/2 hours check the liquid level. Then add the dumplings and the cavelo nero and pop the lid back on and cook for a further 30 minutes.
If you’re not already following then check out my page on instagram…I post my meals most nights on there and alsoinclude recipes, pics and videos….you can find me at hungrylittlebears.