Who wants a fuss free, super quick mid week healthy recipe!!? Yep thought you might! Well hopefully this one ticks all of those boxes and hoping it’s one your kids will like too. Get your kids to make their own parcels up. I definitely think including them in the process and even the planning of the meals definitely helps with how much they enjoy and eat the food you provide them! This one is easy for the kids to do!
You need to start by making your cous cous..which literally takes 5 minutes. So put the kettle on first!
Once that’s boiled make up a quick stock. I use a simple vegetable stock cube but you could just add water if you prefer or even your own homemade stock if you have it!
Make up the couscous as per your packet instructions. For this recipe i used a pre mixed lemon and coriander packet. Place this into a bowl, add the stock and cover for 5 minutes. Then fluff with a fork and add a clove of garlic and stir through.
Now make up the parcels. Grab yourself a sheet of greaseproof paper, rectangular in shape and then on the bottom half add a couple of tablespoons of couscous.
Then add a slice of lemon, your fish of choice and some courgettes and season. Courgettes take no time at all to cook so this is a good veggie for this recipe. If your kids aren’t keen on courgettes you could try throwing in some peas or mangetout or you could add some matchstick strips of carrots, make sure they’re cut quite small. (They may still have a slight crunch!)
You can use either whole pieces of salmon (as per the pics) or you can also use a fish pie mix which is what i used for the kids. It allows them to choose which fish they want, giving them some control over what’s going to be on their plate. Weirdly my son loves salmon and my daughter prefers smoked haddock and white fish so doing it like this works really well! Enabling them to choose means more chance that they’ll eat it!
Once you’ve added all the ingredients, fold the top half over and then fold in the two sides, leaving one side open.
Now add a 1 tbsp of stock and then fold up the final side. Pop onto a baking tray and then pop into the oven for around 12-15 minutes or until your fish is cooked through…serve with some steamed broccoli just for a bit more veg!
I added some chilli flakes and some spring onion to the adult version!
So what you’ll need for this:
- 1 Lemon cut into slices
- 1 clove of garlic – crushedd
- 1 courgette – cut into matchsticks or rounds (my daughter cut these so just went with the flow!
- 1 packet of couscous (I used a pack of lemon and coriander couscous but plain is fine)
- Vegetable stock (as much as you need to make up the cous cous. See packet instructions) plus 1 tbsp to add at the end.
- Mixed fish – fish pie mix
- Broccoli to serve
- Greaseproof paper!
What you need to do:
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Start by making up your couscous as per the packet instructions.
- Once ready fluff with a fork and gently stir through 1 crushed garlic clove
- Now add 2 tablespoons to the bottom half of a rectangular shaped piece of greaseproof paper.
- Next add 1 slice of lemon, some fish of choice and your courgettes and season.
- Now fold the greaseproof paper over and fold over the two sides leaving the top side open.
- Add 1 tbsp of stock and then fold over the final edge.
- Pop onto a baking tray and then into the oven for 15 mins or until the fish is cooked through.
- Serve with some steamed broccoli.
- You can also scatter some fresh chilli or chilli flakes, coriander and spring onion if you fancy! Perhaps for the adult version!)
Hope you and your kids like it!!! xx