Everything always tastes better when it’s on a skewer…why is that?! Kids seem to eat so much better when it’s presented like this..or is that just mine?! That said you don’t have to pop these onto skewers, you can simply marinade and then cook in the oven. So again making this really easy to do. My kids both love this meal and I even got Alfie eating potatoes again with the hasslebacks! Whoop!
So to start you need to make up your marinade which is very simply 1 lemon, juice and zest, 3 tbsp honey, 1/2 inch of grated ginger, 1 crushed garlic clove and 2 tbsp soy sauce. Add all this into a bowl or zip lock bag and add your turkey. Allow to marinade for at least 30 minutes if not overnight!
You now need to prep your hasslebacks. I use smallish new potatoes as these take less time in the oven. Always good for busy mums!..take a big metal or wooden spoon and place your potato onto it. Now make small slits into the potato. The metal spoon will make sure your knife doens’t cut all the way through the potato!
Once you’ve made the incisions place into a baking tray, add a little oil, some salt and 2 tbsp of melted butter, making sure the butter goes into the incisions you’ve made! Place into the oven for 35/40mins or so basting with the butter and oil half way through.
At which point you can grab your turkey and thread them onto your skewers. Make sure you soak your skewers first if using wooden ones to stop them burning under the grill.
Once you’ve threaded them pop them under the grill, turning occasionally until they wre cooked through.
Serve with your hassleback potatoes and serve with some veg of choice.
So what you’ll need:
- 500g turkey fillets
- 1 lemon – zest and juice
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1/2 inch of ginger – grated
- 1 garlic clove – crushed
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- potatoes or small maris piper potatoes
- Olive oil
- Melted butter – 2-3 tbsp roughly
What you need to do:
- Start by marinading your turkey in the lemon, honey, ginger, garlic and soy.
- Soak your skewers if using wooden ones
- Preheat the grill and the oven to 180C
- Make incisions to your potatoes, being careful not to cut all the way through
- Place your potatoes into a baking tray with some oil and some melted butter and salt.
- Pop the potatoes into the oven for 40 minutes, basting the potatoes half way with the butter and oil trying to get inside the incisions.
- After basting half way start to thread your turkey onto your skewers.
- Now pop under the grill, turning occasionally until cooked through, about 10-15 minutes depending on the size of your fillets.
- Serve the potatoes and turkey skewers with some veg of your choice
OPTIONAL EXTRAS/SWAPS – This would be good with some tzatziki as well or make a honey and yougurt dressing. Instead of the hasslebacks you could just pop the turkey into a pitta with some salad and tzatziki. You could of course swap the turkey for chicken which would also work.
Thanks so much for following along! Hope you like this one…it’s a fave with my kids. Clean plates always make me smile!!! xx
2 thoughts on “Honeyed Turkey Skewers with mini hassleback potatoes”