Here’s a really tasty and simple recipe for you which is packed with veggies. It’s made even easier by using shop bought puff pastry. It’s so easy yet there’s something quite satisfying about making your own sausage rolls! Kids love them too…and what’s even better is they taste pretty good cold so amazing for picnics or lunchboxes as well!
So let’s get straight to it:
What you’ll need:
- 500g Sausage meat
- 1 onion – finely diced
- 1 clove of garlic – crushed
- 1 apple – grated (I use royal gala or golden delicious)
- 1 carrot – finely grated
- 1/2 courgette – finely grated
- Salt and pepper
- 1 packet of ready rolled puff pastry
- 1 beaten egg
What you need to do:
- Heat the oven to 180C
- Start by gently fying your onion and garlic in a pan with a little oil until softened.
- Add this into a mixing bowl together with your sausage meat, apple, carrot and courgette. Season well
- Mix this all together
- Now take out your pastry and roll out onto a board, then cut the pastry into half, lengthways
- Now place your sausage meat down the middle of each strip in a long sausage shape, be careful not to over pack or the pastry won’t stretch over. Leave pastry around the edges of about 1 cm
- Now fold the pastry over to meet the other side all the way along and press the edges down.
- Now use a fork to crimp the two sides together.
- Once this is done egg wash the sausage and then cut into individual rolls with a sharp knife.
- You can make slightly larger ones like the ones here or cut into more bitesize pieces.
- Transfer onto a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper or a silicon sheet and pop into the oven for 25-35 mins or until the meat is cooked all the way through.
Serve with some homemade fries and ketchup!!